For some months now I’ve been trying to finish some lightweight summer trousers for R.
A trio of summer trousers.
[Did you spot the upside down patten on the front pair – too late to change it now!]
As we use cloth nappies (probably another post on it’s own!) his little baby bottom is much bigger than normal. Modern clothing is cut for thin disposable nappies, not bulky cloth and so he used to grow out of thing really fast without really growing that much. So I knew at some point that I’d want to sew a few clothes for him.
My other bugbear is colours. Even at this young age children are beginning to get colour-coded. We work hard to ensure R enjoys a range of colours, blue to pink and everything in between – but the older he gets the more mud coloured and navy the options become. If I made some of his clothes I can give him the colour which is obviously far too daring for a 10 month old.
I use this wonderful pattern by Rae: http://www.made-by-rae.com/2010/08/big-butt-baby-pants-sewing-pattern/
It was clear, easy to follow and any problems in the execution (upside down owl leg) are mine not her pattern’s fault!
Did you say an owl on my bottom, where?
There is a 4th pair waiting to be elasticated and after that I’ve two more projects I want to try (these are both free unlike the above):
http://prudentbaby.com/2012/01/baby-kid/shirt-sleeves-into-toddler-harem-pants/ – I have a bunch of sleeves cut off men’s shirts from when I made a circle skirt (out of men’s shirts), I reckon this is a cool way to use them up.
Secondly there is Mini-magpie’s amazing tutorial on turning an old jumper into toddler trousers. One of my old work jumpers has developed a hole is probably isn’t worth fixing so…
it will be turned into a pair of purple trousers for the Autumn.
The rest of the weekend has been mixed so far, new pigs are arriving tomorrow so we’ve been busy for the last two days, putting in a new fence, cleaning the hutch and cutting back the grass from the fence (so it doesn’t short out the electrics). In the process of this hard work I was clearing a tussock only to discover it was also an ants nest… ouch!
Circle beds are so far mixed, I am getting some nice growth in them and they are easy to weed. Unfortunately they also look like comfortable cat toilets so I’ve lost half my carrots already. Life of a gardener I guess.