I really think that getting back into my gardening groove has helped our luck. After yesterday’s extravaganza of planting, today I worked out a whole list of plants I can plant now to fill the gap in the brassica section (and bought some seeds to fulfil my plan), I planted 3 large pots of parsley, 1 pot of clary sage and 1 large tray of kohl rabi. I’m starting everything in pots so I can better protect them from the evil slugs.
So the good news is that we met some lovely people today who might… might want to keep a beehive in our orchard! This is very exciting news. It might come to nothing but it would be so exciting to have some bees buzzing around pollinating all our vegetables. I also found a spare packet of basil seeds that I forgot about!
When we first moved here the house came with a shed. But it was far too small for our needs. Keeping pigs and planning to keep hens comes with a need to store equipment, straw and feed. Then we have all the garden tools you would expect from people who have a huge garden and vegetable patch. So fairly early on this year we bought a new and bigger shed to which we transferred all most of our gardening equipment and the broken chest freezer (thanks Freecycle!) we use for storing pig feed.
But I was determined to keep the old one, it was the green thing to do after all. The new-old shed was in good working order, just a little small, and I knew we would outgrow the new shed very quickly. We keep 2-3 bales of straw around at a time and I really wanted somewhere to put all that straw – somewhere that was not our verandah. Verandah’s are for lounging on with cool minty drinks, not for storing straw, kindling and other bittes and oddses (ours is a work in progress!)
After successfully scavenging free concrete slabs for the base of the new-old shed, Josh was fired up to get it up as quickly as possible. In a relatively short space of time he’d finished putting the shed up and filled it with the bales.
I feel like we have made incredible progress on our Tinyholding in just the last 6 months and having the pig hutch, the new-new shed (with water and electrics) and the new-old shed all up and working contributes a lot to that. We are not DIY naturals but Josh in particular is getting really good and picking up new skills all the time.
Looking down the garden now I can just see the end of the new-old shed begging for a bit of bunting to cheer it up!
In other news I went up a ladder and had a good squeeze of our Parma Ham which is drying the verandah. This is the first time I’ve dared do it (I still haven’t opened it up for a sneaky peak). To my delight it was really solid and hard with no soft or spongy sections (which I’m assuming would imply it was rotten). We only have about 1 month to go before eating it!